Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Testament
- 2. ‘I have raised myself a monument’: Writer memorials and cults
- 3. ‘Tidings of me will go out over all great Rus’: Pushkin and the Russian literary canon
- 4. ‘I shall be famous as long as another poet lives’: Writers’ responses to Pushkin
- 5. ‘Awakening noble feelings with my lyre’: Writers as ‘masters of minds’
- 6. ‘And don’t dispute with fools’: Men, women, and society
- 7. ‘Every tribe and every tongue will name me’: Russian literature and ‘primitive culture’
- 8. ‘O Muse, be obedient to the command of God’: The spiritual and material worlds