Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Introduction: the story so far
- 2. Discovering and inventing: constructing ancient Egypt
- 3. History: building chronologies and writing histories
- 4. Writing: the origins and implications of hieroglyphs
- 5. Kingship: stereotyping and the ‘oriental despot’
- 6. Identity: issues of ethnicity, race, and gender
- 7. Death: mummification, dismemberment, and the cult of Osiris
- 8. Religion: Egyptian gods and temples
- 9. Egyptomania: the recycling and reinventing of Egypt's icons and images