Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Introduction: what was the Holy Roman Empire?
- 1. Roman Empire and German kingdom: from Charlemagne to the Ottonians
- 2. The high medieval empire: from the Salians to the Hohenstaufen
- 3. The later medieval empire: the emergence of the Habsburgs
- 4. The early modern empire (1): from Maximilian I to the Thirty Years War
- 5. The early modern empire (2): from the Peace of Westphalia to 1806
- Epilogue: the legacy of the Holy Roman Empire