Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Dynasties and empires; titles and peoples
- 2. The imperial vision: 11th to 16th century
- 3. ‘As if the king of each’: 16th and 17th centuries
- 4. In the service of the faith: 17th and 18th centuries
- 5. Enlightenment and reaction: 18th and 19th centuries
- 6. The era of Franz Joseph: 19th century
- 7. World war and dissolution: 20th century