Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Introduction: an ‘Identity’ wave
- 1. ‘Who am I?’ Identity in philosophy
- 2. Identity in logic and the classical law of thought
- 3. Given or constructed? Identity in cultural anthropology
- 4. Adam and Eve, Hijra, LGBTQs, and the shake-up of gender identities
- 5. Identity in politics: promises and dangers
- 6. ‘Your station in life’: social identities in our time
- 7. Citizenship, legal status, and proof of identity: identity as a legal concept
- 8. Selfhood and personality: the psychology of identity
- 9. ‘They don’t speak our language’: identity in linguistics
- 10. Who is behind the mask? Identity in literature
- Conclusion: The Identity of Identity