Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. An Ad Hoc Navy: The Revolutionary War (1775–1783)
- 2. Establishing an American Navy: The Age of Sail (1783–1809)
- 3. An American Navy Confirmed: The War of 1812
- 4. A Constabulary Navy: Pirates, Slavers, and Manifest Destiny (1820–1850)
- 5. Steam and Iron: The Civil War Navy (1850–1865)
- 6. The Doldrums and The New Navy (1865–1900)
- 7. A Navy Second to None: The U.S. Navy and World War I (1900–1939)
- 8. The Two-Ocean Navy: The U.S. Navy in World War II (1939–1945)
- 9. Confronting the Soviets: The Cold War Navy (1945–1975)
- 10. The U.S. Navy in the Twenty-First Century