Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Writing and its emergence
- 2. Development and diffusion of writing
- 3. Disappearance of scripts
- 4. Decipherment and undeciphered scripts
- 5. How writing systems work
- 6. Alphabets
- 7. Chinese and Japanese writing
- 8. Scribes and materials
- 9. Writing goes electronic