Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Introduction: Meeting French Literature
- 1. Saints, Werewolves, Knights, and a Poète Maudit: Allegiance and Character in the Middle Ages
- 2. The Last Roman, ‘Cannibals’, Giants, and Heroines of Modern Life: Antiquity and Renewal
- 3. Society and Its Demands
- 4. Nature and Its Possibilities
- 5. Around the Revolution
- 6. The Hunchback, the Housewife, and the flâneur
- 7. From Marcel to Rrose Selavy
- 8. The Self-Centred Consciousness
- 9. French-Speaking Heroes Without Borders?