Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. What is an animal?
- 2. Animal phyla
- 3. The evolutionary tree of animals
- 4. Basal animals: sponges, corals, and jellyfish
- 5. The bilaterians: building a body
- 6. Lophotrochozoa: wondrous worms
- 7. Ecdysozoa: insects and nematodes
- 8. Deuterostomes I: starfish, sea squirts, and amphioxus
- 9. Deuterostomes II: the rise of vertebrates
- 10. Deuterostomes III: vertebrates on land
- 11. Enigmatic animals