Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Why causation?
- 1. The problem: what's the matter with causation?
- 2. Regularity: causation without connection?
- 3. Time and space: do causes occur before their effects?
- 4. Necessity: do causes guarantee their effects?
- 5. Counterfactual dependence: do causes make a difference?
- 6. Physicalism: is it all transference?
- 7. Pluralism: is causation many different things?
- 8. Primitivism: is causation the most basic thing?
- 9. Dispositionalism: what tends to be?
- 10. Finding causes: where are they?