Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Validity: what follows from what?
- 2. Truth functions—or not?
- 3. Names and quantifiers: is nothing something?
- 4. Descriptions and existence: did the Greeks worship Zeus?
- 5. Self-reference: what is this chapter about?
- 6. Necessity and possibility: what will be must be?
- 7. Conditionals: what’s in an if?
- 8. The future and the past: is time real?
- 9. Identity and change: is anything ever the same?
- 10. Vagueness: how do you stop sliding down a slippery slope?
- 11. Probability: the strange case of the missing reference class
- 12. Inverse probability: you can’t be indifferent about it!
- 13. Decision theory: great expectations
- 14. Halt! What goes there?
- 15. Maybe it is true—but you can’t prove it!