Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- 1. Introduction: dimensions of linguistic diversity
- 2. How many languages are there in the world?
- 3. Phylogenetic linguistics: establishing linguistic relationships
- 4. The future of languages
- 5. Some problems in the counting of languages
- 6. The genotypes of languages
- 7. The diversity of signed languages
- 8. Conclusion: the unity of human language