Access to the complete content on Very Short Introductions online requires a subscription or purchase. Public users are able to search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter without a subscription.
If you have purchased a print title that contains an access token, please see the token for information about how to register your code.
- Chapter 1 Citizen soldier and sailor vs. standing armed forces
- Chapter 2 The struggle for military professionalism
- Chapter 3 Technology, mechanization, and the world wars
- Chapter 4 The limits of power
- Conclusion: The armed forces and perennial problems